Each year (see 2015 and 2016), I usually start this post by saying how deep the year was in music. I feel like I can’t really call 2017 “deep” (this list of full-lengths goes only 20-deep rather than 25) but it was still a year that gave us some great records. For me, many of the great records came from unexpected sources.
The top record came from a known quantity, as Iron Chic’s first record for SideOneDummy was everything I hoped it would be. We had to wait a long time between 2013’s best record, The Constant One, and this year’s You Can’t Stay Here but it was absolutely worth it.
The rest of the Top 5 was rounded out by (mostly female-fronted) bands I wasn’t really familiar with before 2017. I was vaguely familiar with Aye Nako, but on Silver Haze they added a band member (Jade Payne) and fine-tuned their sound to resembe the direction that I hoped Speedy Ortiz would take after Major Arcana. Great Grandpa and Charly Bliss were completely new to me, but both records were in constant rotation all year. Plastic Cough is another that sounds like something I hoped would come from Speedy Ortiz while Guppy reminds me of Letters to Cleo or Tancred. Lastly, Daddy Issues’ maturity in the last two years on Deep Dream was impressive. I found myself going back to that record over and over.
Don’t forget that I also put out a single this year—“Find the Way” b/w “Half Step”. Check it out if you haven’t!
Without further adieu, my favorite records of the year…
Top 20 Full-Length Albums
- Iron Chic – You Can’t Stay Here
- Aye Nako – Silver Haze
- Great Grandpa – Plastic Cough
- Daddy Issues – Deep Dream
- Charly Bliss – Guppy
- Alex Lahey – I Love You Like A Brother
- Pinact – The Part That No One Knows
- Lorde – Melodrama
- Alvvays – Antisocialites
- Mogwai – Every Country’s Sun
- Worriers – Survival Pop
- Caves – Always Why
- Arcade Fire – Everything Now
- Rozwell Kid – Precious Art
- Choke Up – Stormy Blue
- Japandroids – Near to the Wild Heart of Life
- Cloud Nothings – Life Without Sound
- Taylor Swift – reputation
- Terror Pigeon – We Will Never Run Out of Love!
- Heavy Pockets – Mopeless
Top 10 EPs
- Bleached – Can You Deal?
- Blushh – It’s Fine
- Beach Slang – We Were Babies & We Were Dirtbags (Quiet Slang)
- Mansions – Deserter
- McCafferty – Thanks. Sorry. Sure.
Live/Compilation (not eligible for album list)
- Ovlov – Greatest Hits Vol. II (compilation) This is a remastered collection of all of Ovlov’s pre-Am releases